October 13, 2011

Biscotti Moment

With the onset of fall and the rush of pumpkin recipes perfusing the internet, I find that I am inspired to make things I would not normally even consider. Something about pumpkin just makes me want to try all sorts of new recipes. For example, last week I had some left over pumpkin I needed to use and what better use than for pumpkin biscotti?

Why biscotti? I have no idea. I had never had biscotti before because, well, I don't like crunchy cookies and it looks rather crunchy. Yet make pumpkin biscotti I did. I surprised myself because, for one, the end result actually looked like biscotti and futhermore I quite enjoyed the end result.









Last weekend, I visited a friend in Santa Barbara. It was a lovely weekend and the first weekend in what feels like a lifetime where I felt like a reasonably normal person. We talked about this and that, we walked quite a bit, enjoyed some local color, and on the whole took the time to stop and smell the metaphorical roses. It was a perfect end to my biscotti week and a delightful respite from medicine. I had almost forgotten what it was like to talk to people who are not in medicine.

Pumpkin Biscotti 
Recipe slightly adapted from Red Ramekin
makes roughly 15 cookies

Here's what you'll need:
  • 2 1/2 c flour
  • 1 c sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp ground ginger (or just shy)
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves (or just shy)
  • "pinch" of salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 c canned pumpkin (not pie filling) or fresh pumpkin puree
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • raisins, chocolate chips and/or walnuts (optional - I forgot to add anything extra in)
Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a baking sheet (lightly grease or line with parchment paper). In a large bowl, sift or whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, spices and salt.

In a smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin and vanilla. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the dry mixture and stir to combine. Ideally, the dough will become crumbly.


Prepare some counter or table space to knead and prepare the biscotti log that will give rise to biscotti twigs (Yes, I am quite certain those are the proper terms for such things). Lightly flour the surface and your hands. Lightly knead the dough. Take this opportunity to knead in any extras you might want (raisins, chocolate chips, nuts, etc). Form the dough into a large log, roughly 15"x 6" x 0.5". You can make it any length and width you want as long as it is uniformly around half an inch thick. 


Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 22-30 minutes at 350 F until the center is firm. 


Remove from the oven and let cool for around 15 min. While cooling, turn the oven down to 300 F. Once cooled somewhat, use a serrated knife to slice the log into 1" wide twigs and just like magic your biscotti will appear! Bake an additional 15-20 min or until desired crispness is attained.




Serve with a warm toasty beverage and good company.



Hoping your fall weather is living up to your expectations, 


~PTB

No comments:

Post a Comment