August 23, 2011

A Summer Summary

I’ve been gone for awhile. As it turns out, finishing up the first year of medical school, planning a wedding, actually getting married, and having some personal time during the last summer of one’s life keeps a girl quite busy!

Tonight, I made some delicious cupcakes for a friend’s birthday. It’s a recipe I’ve been wanting to try for awhile. They are coffee cupcakes…literally. There’s a good deal of coffee in the batter. I topped them off with a confectioner’s sugar-free chocolate frosting. It uses heavy cream instead of butter, which is convenient since I had some extra cream around from making ice cream last week.

I’m sure they will be a hit with coffee lovers such as myself. The boy and I certainly enjoyed it…

Apart from sharing my latest baking adventure with you, I thought I’d do a little photo-tour of the past few months.


Way back in June, my wonderful, wonderful best friend & her family threw an amazing, adorable bridal shower for me! It was so much more awesome than I imagined when I sort of suggested a tea-party themed shower.
There were big hats; TP-ing of the bride-to-be;

tea pots, tea cups and tea(!!);

croquet; and everyone’s favorite—Bubble-chasing!

There was quite the haul in gifts including a Kitchenaid Mixer! It’s yellow and I love it! I’m thinking of naming her Ophelia.

Misty approves too…

I spent perhaps my first ever July 4th in San Diego and discovered this nifty piece of art

and attempted my first raspberry crisp/cobbler/not a huge success

We braved the gloriously over-hyped Carmageddon to go to another celebration for us in the Central Valley where we received even more gifts from our generous family & friends! Including the boy’s favorites, some Star Wars-related kitchen gear. Anyone up for some Darth Vader pancakes on Sunday?
 
Just before the wedding, I finally got a chance to use Ophelia for the first time! And not to mention that cookie scoops are my new BFFs. I’ve never put together a tray of chocolate chip cookies so quickly!
 
It was really awesome until I realized our new oven didn’t heat quite properly, but the cookies turned out in the end.
By this point, the wedding was nearly upon us so my puppies decided to get some beautiful hair cuts in preparation.

And then it was time for our wonderful wedding, exactly six months after we got engaged and just shy of our 3 year anniversary! The wedding was so beautiful, so much fun, and we were so thankful that so many of our close friends and family could make it down to San Diego to join us.
  
 
but more on that later perhaps. We had a surprising proper send off and stayed in downtown San Diego with a wonderful view.

The boy surprised me with a cookbook I’m so excited to explore and an adorable P&P mug!
   
Thanks to some benevolent attendings, we got to spend the first full weekend of our marriage relaxing and partaking in some of our favorite activities, including napping!

And so ends my first week of married life and this little photo-tour of the past few months. It is so wonderful to be able to share my life with my best friend! The only thing I baked this summer other than those cookies, was several loaves of banana bread. How is it that I can’t stand bananas, but I love banana bread? I think it’s a texture thing.

Confession time: Our wedding was wonderful, but I am so relieved to be done with wedding planning and preparations. There were times when I really enjoyed it, but my stress levels have plummeted since the wedding. I feel like I’m thinking clearly for the first time in months! I am definitely not one of those brides who is mourning the loss of wedding planning and preparations.
School has started back up and it’s actually nice to have a sense of normalcy restored to my daily life. Not to mention that thus far, the subjects are infinitely more exciting and engaging than those subjects covered in the first year. While second year is rife with intimidating obstacles and hurdles to get over, I am looking forward to the challenge.

This has been a faithful narrative of the events of my summer. Phew! No wonder I was so tired all summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment